I am currently working with a consultancy who are able to offer a wide range of professional advice through all stages of a project.
These services can be provided separately as discrete packages or seamlessly as the professional team for the whole project. At all times they are totally committed to the needs of the client and take huge pride in providing a high quality service regardless of the size of scheme.
From offices in Oxfordshire and Hertfordshire, All works are throughout the UK and employing a multi-professional team of engineers, surveyors and experts in all types of construction projects. For over 40 years the firm has grown steadily and taken a wide range of clients from both public and private sectors.
An established an impressive reputation for its valuable contribution to projects at all stages, from inception to completion. Experts are available to offer comprehensive advice from initial feasibility and planning, through detailed design to construction and post-project support.
I have a new vacancy within the Structures team due to their increasing work load. I am looking to recruit a Structural Engineer with 3-4 years’ UK based experience within a consultancy and who is progressing towards their chartership. This is a permanent vacancy in Didcot and the salary range for this position is £30,000 – £40,000 depending on experience.
The Structures team work within the commercial/ research/ residential/ education sectors, providing structural design services ranging from pre-construction design, refurbishments and assessments. The projects vary considerably in size from small scale, one-off commissions, to large, multi-million pound schemes.
Main duties and tasks:
A Structural Engineer will ordinarily undertake the following tasks
- Prepare and review structural analysis and design calculations
- Assist in the preparation of drawings for conceptual and detailed design
- Liaise with clients, project team members and local authorities
- Co-ordinate projects and packages of work with minimal assistance
- Enhance and promote the image of the company’s Consultants by their actions
- Attend site and design team meetings.
This team undertakes the following tasks:
- Design of structures, including large framed commercial, education and residential projects
- Foundation design and assessment
The team is highly motivated and committed to the delivery of successful projects for their clients. This ethos has resulted in an expanding workload and the requirement for another capable and experienced technician. A suitable candidate will enjoy their work and the challenges provided by our clients.
Relevant skills & experience
- An accredited BEng degree (or equivalent) recognised by the IStructE
- A minimum of 3 – 4 years’ relevant post-graduate experience and progressing towards Chartered Status of the IStructE
- Substantial construction industry experience, knowledge of the residential, commercial and education sectors as well as an in-depth understanding of superstructure, foundation and geotechnical design
- BIM experience and the use of industry design software packages are essential
- Experience in the use of Tekla Structural Designer would be an advantage
- Experience dealing with clients and other members of the professional team
- An ability to speak clearly, confidently, professionally and convincingly at meetings and on the telephone when representing the company
- Good commercial awareness
- An ability to write clear and concise e-mails, letters and reports
- Highly motivated and willing to take responsibility for producing innovative solutions
- A valid full UK driving licence
Remuneration and training
The company will provide a competitive salary, a contribution towards a personal pension scheme (up to 5% of salary) and professional membership fees, which are paid for one organisation.
The company contributes to regular social events, such as go-karting, theatre trips, golf, bowling etc. There is a friendly and supportive working environment, which has resulted in good morale and a low staff turnover. The company has a strong commitment to training ranging from ‘on the job training’ in new software and design techniques to training programmes for Chartered status and external short courses. The breadth of skills and experienced staff creates an excellent environment for new staff to undertake varied and rewarding tasks and expand their knowledge